Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Suggestions?

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I am just getting started on my finals. Graduate school does not leave a lot of time for writing about popular culture here! However, I do get to do just that in my research which is why I am so completely in love with school.

On that note I am wondering if you all can help me with one of my research papers. I am interested in looking at representations of transnational bodies in American mass media. I have written about Gwen Stefani and her Harajuku Girls before but I think it is very relevant to this research. I am curious as to who else you all think might be relevant. I plan to peruse the archives of Racialicious to see what they have written about but I thought I'd open it to my dear readers (like feminist gal and kat) since they have been so helpful in the past!

If the project is a success, I'll post high lights here.

5 comments:

Radical Reminders said...

I've been thinking about this over the past few days and the best thing i came up with was the representation of minorities in cartoons (such as Disney). A good example of this is that cartoon (dumbo maybe?) with the three crows that are made to seem mexican and all they do is sit on the tree, drink, get drunk, and sing really stereotypical songs. If you are going to look into cartoons, here's a place to start: http://www.cracked.com/article_15833_9-most-racist-disney-characters.html

Also, check out my blog from a few days ago, i gave out awards ;)

kat said...

I'm going to have to think about this for a few days....
I'll be back!

kat said...

I've been thinking and thinking....I'm sure there must be something right in front of my face, but I'm just not coming up with anything that you and feministgal haven't already mentioned.

I'll keep workin' on it.

kat said...

The disney princess thing? You've got Jasmine in "harem pants" and all sexed up, pocahontas in a skimpy skirt.....Mulan action figures (that only come in the princess-y outfit, not the warrior one).

It kind of relates to Feministgal's suggestion.

Anonymous said...

Try The Learned Fangirl -- there is a post about this.