Thursday, November 13, 2014

"She Don't Know She's Beautiful"



One of the more insidious double binds that women live with is the idea that we must be beautiful but we must not be aware of it in any way.  If we are aware of our beauty, we are conceited, self-absorbed, or vain.  If we ignore beauty altogether we are called ugly or we have our sexuality called in to question.  There is such a fine line between being appropriately and effortlessly beautiful and "trying too hard" or "not trying hard enough."  

One Direction's song "What Makes You Beautiful" is a perfect example of this double bind.  Another example from my childhood is "She Don't Know She's Beautiful" by Adam Harvey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cortney. Came over here after reading your comment on IBTP - I'm a late arrival to that site, and it has been an absolute blessing. I only wish I'd ventured there earlier.

Anyhow, you mentioned in your comment that you were considering quitting blogging due to the relentless harassment. I've noticed so many feminist blogs die out in the past few years. It's disheartening, but I get it. I really get it.

Your last post - this one - is from November 2014. I hope that only means you're taking a break rather than quitting. Despite the barrage of haters you likely get from simply speaking your mind while female (a crime in every country in the world, apparently), I really hope you continue. There are many of us who appreciate you. Strength in numbers! But if you're done, thank you for your contribution. There are many who benefited from your courage.